BOOTS closed part of the fragrance space at its retailer in York’s Coney Street after Yorkshire Water staff discovered water dripping by way of a ceiling got here from a leaking employees toilet upstairs.
A check confirmed the water, which went by way of the ceiling into part of the perfumery part on the appropriate hand facet of the shop earlier this week, was contaminated by ammonia, brought on by urine.
A sequence of blue plastic containers was deployed to catch the leaking water and indicators knowledgeable clients: “Unfortunately, resulting from a leak, we’re unable to promote any fragrances from these cupboards at the moment..sorry for any inconvenience.”
Some of the show cupboards simply outdoors the cordoned off zone additionally had black adhesive tape wrapped round them so clients couldn’t take away merchandise.
A supply informed The Press that the leak got here from a employees toilet on the primary ground and that Yorkshire Water had examined the water and located it to be contaminated water from a leaking toilet.
A Yorkshire Water spokesman confirmed: “Our group was within the space on an unrelated matter and had been requested to have a look at a leak within the Boots retailer.
“After a constructive check for ammonia, they suggested the shop that they’d a leaking toilet.”
A Boots spokesperson stated the corporate’s Coney Street retailer had been ‘experiencing a drainage downside.’
They stated: “The difficulty was instantly attended to by upkeep contractors in addition to Yorkshire Water and the difficulty is because of be resolved at present.
“Our group members at this retailer have been provided extra frequent and prolonged breaks to entry close by services elsewhere.”
It is known the issue has since been rectified and the realm reopened.